In 1947, James and Robert Paschal opened a 30-seat luncheonette at 831 West Hunter Street where they sold sandwiches and sodas. As the business grew, they expanded the menu to serve hot lunches. There was no stove and the brothers did not own a car, therefore, the hot food was prepared at Robert's home and delivered by taxi.
In 1959, Paschal's Restaurant & Coffee Shop opened in its new location at 830 Hunter Street. The new facilities sat 90 in the coffee shop and 125 in the main dining room. The initial expansion was financed with a $75,000 loan from Citizens Trust Bank in conjunction with Atlanta Life Insurance Company. This was one of the largest loans made by the bank at that time.
In December of 1960, La Carrousel Lounge opened. It was considered Atlanta's jazz mecca for more than a decade. La Carrousel showcased some of the finest local and nationally recognized artists including, The Ramsey Lewis Trio, Aretha Franklin, Lou Rawls, Dizzy Gillespie, The Paul Mitchell Trio and many others.
In 1965 the Paschal brothers broke ground on what would become Paschal's Motor Hotel which was adjacent to the restaurant and coffee shop.
In March 1967, Paschal's Motor Hotel opened featuring 120 lavishly furnished rooms, meeting rooms, additional dining spaces and a swimming pool.
James and Robert Paschal entered into a landmark agreement with Dobbs House Inc. to form a joint venture titled "Dobbs-Paschal Midfield Corporation". The new partners bid on the concession contract at the airport and won the bid for a 15 year contract to provide food, beverage and retail services from 1980 to 1995 at the new airport.
In 1995, the original contract expired at Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport. Paschal's entered into a joint venture relationship with Concessions International, Inc., to form Concessions/Paschal's J.V. This new joint venture won the contract to provide food and beverage services as one of two prime operators at the airport.
In 1997, a street was named after James and Robert Paschal by the Atlanta City Council. Jeptha & Taliaferro was renamed Paschal Boulevard.
In March of 2002, the two business leaders, James Paschal and Herman J. Russell, joined together once again to open the 21st century version of Paschal's on Northside Drive in the Castleberry Hill area.
In October of 2005, James Paschal was inducted into the Atlanta Hospitality Hall of Fame. Robert Paschal was also inducted posthumously.
James Paschal died in 2008. The restaurant and legacy of Paschal's continues with the Northside Drive location of the restaurant along with a unit at Hartsfield Jackson International Airport. The remaining members of the Paschal family continue to carry the torch and run the businesses in the spirit of the founders.